Fried anything is my weakness, but fried cheese?! Oh my yumminess! This salad is is packed with flavor and is perfect for lunch or dinner. With all of the holiday meals and treats this time of year it's nice to have a healthy fresh option to get you back on track. Give this recipe a try and I promise you wont be disappointed.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Where are My Cheese Lovers?...</p></h4>
If you’re a lover of cheese, you might wonder what kind of cheese, if any, is good for you. Goat cheese, with its tangy taste and crumbly texture, has earned a reputation as being one of the healthiest cheese choices there is! Yes cheese can be healthy! Goat cheese provides healthy fats, is easier for many people to digest and is even a bit lower in calories and fat than other cheeses. It is also a good source of protein and calcium, supplies probiotics, provides B vitamins, copper and phosphorus.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Mushrooms are more than just fungi…</p></h4>
The portobello mushroom is one of the most widely consumed mushrooms in the world. Among most other types of mushrooms, especially those called “medicinal mushrooms,” portobellos are known as natural cancer-fighters and protectors of the immune system. They contain phytochemicals that help with cell death and regeneration of healthy cells as well as immune response. They also contain antioxidants, natural anti-inflammatories, are a great source of B vitamins, provide copper and selenium and are low in carbs!
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Charred Veggie and Fried Goat Cheese Salad</p></h4>
<h5>Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 2</h5>
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Ingredients:</p></h5>
* 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
* 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
* 1 teaspoon onion flakes
* 1 teaspoon garlic flakes
* 4 ounces goat cheese
* 1 medium red bell pepper
* ½ cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
* 4 cups arugula
* 2 tablespoon avocado oil
* 2 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Instructions:</p></h5>
1. Combine the poppy and sesame seeds, onion, and garlic flakes in a small dish.
2. Then divide the 4 cups of arugula between two bowls and set aside.
3. Cut the goat cheese into 4 ½ inch thick medallions, coat each piece of goat cheese on both sides with seed and flake mixture. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to fry the cheese.
4. Chop the bell peppers into 8 pieces and the portobello mushrooms in half.
5. Prepare a skillet with a drizzle of your favorite oil and heat to medium. Char the peppers and mushrooms on both sides, just until the pieces begin to darken and the pepper softens. Add to the bowls of arugula.
6. In the same skillet, place the cold goat cheese in and fry on each side for about 30 seconds. This melts quickly so be gentle as you flip each piece!
7. Add the cheese to the salad and drizzle with avocado oil. Serve warm and enjoy!