Welcome to salad week! For some of you when you think salad you thing boring, right? Well my friend, This week we are going to share with you three delicious salads that are boasting with flavors and are quick and easy to make.
Caprese salad is the perfect dish when you are looking for something light, but if you want a full meal, it just doesn’t quite meet the mark. Adding protein-packed ingredients like chicken, and healthy fats like avocado take this dish from a simple appetizer to a perfectly balanced meal in no time. Enjoy this fresh take on a simple classic that will leave you yearning for more!
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Delicious, Nutritious Basil</p></h4>
One of the oldest herbs known to mankind is Basil and it is loaded with nutrients! Some of our favorite benefits include it containing disease-fighting antioxidants that not only fight free radical damage but also protect our DNA structure and cells! These same important antioxidants fight oxidation and slow down the effects of aging! Um yes, please! Basil also has anti-inflammatory properties which help promote healthy blood pressure and cardiovascular health along with detoxifying enzymes.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">The Skinny on Balsamic Vinegar</p></h4>
Real balsamic vinegar is aged in barrels for months and sometimes even years. It is a popular ingredient in food preparation especially salad dressings and marinades. Aside from its delicious flavor balsamic vinegar also has many nutritious benefits you may not know about. Antioxidants found in balsamic vinegar target the “scavenger cells” that are toxic to your body and inflate your LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. By consuming balsamic vinegar as a dressing or glaze, you can consume enough to help your body protect itself against clogged arteries. Pretty amazing right? That isn’t all, it also helps with digestion, weight loss, improves blood circulation and can even improve your skin.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad</p></h4>
<h5>Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Serves: 4 people</h5>
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Ingredients:</p></h5>
* ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 tablespoons avocado oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated monk fruit sweetener
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 boneless chicken thigh fillets, skin removed
* 5 cups Romaine lettuce leaves
* 1 avocado
* 1 cup cherry tomatoes
* ½ cup mini mozzarella cheese balls
* ¼ cup basil leaves
* Salt and pepper to taste
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Instructions:</p></h5>
1. Chop lettuce and slice avocado, tomatoes and basil leaves.
2. Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine.
3. Place chicken into a shallow dish; pour 4 tablespoons of the dressing onto the chicken and stir around to evenly coat chicken. Reserve the untouched dressing to use on the salad.
4. Heat about one teaspoon of avocado oil in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
5. Slice chicken into strips and prepare the salad with lettuce, avocado slices, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and chicken. Top with basil strips; drizzle with the remaining dressing; season with salt and pepper.