Traditional Ravioli are loaded with carbs but we have a delectable healthy twist on this classic. This recipe is the creme de la creme with robust flavors, fresh herbs and not to mention cheese! It may look like a lot of work but we promise it isn’t and it will be worth the effort once you smell the fresh aromas and taste the magic!
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Naturally Nutritious</p></h4>
Truly a delicious plant, basil is easily added to almost anything making it the perfect herb! From mild and sweet to strong and spicy you can’t go wrong whichever kind you choose. Basil helps restore the body's natural pH levels and feeds healthy bacteria within the gut. A healthy microbiome increases immunity and promotes healthy digestion. Another key benefit of basil is the ability to help fight free radical damage while protecting DNA structure and cells. Basil contains two important water-soluble flavonoid antioxidants, known as orientin and viceninare, which help protect white blood cells responsible for immune function, as well as cellular structures where DNA is stored.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Beyond the Boundaries of Taste</p></h4>
Sweet tantalizing flavor of a good balsamic vinegar is one to be cherished! Having complex, bold flavors this little gem helps our bodies in a few ways! Aiding in digestion, balsamic vinegar boosts the activity of pepsin, an enzyme that breaks protein down into smaller amino acids that can be more easily absorbed by the body. Then there are the antioxidants which target the “scavenger cells” that are toxic to your body and inflate your LDL (unhealthy cholesterol) levels. By consuming balsamic vinegar as a dressing or glaze, you can consume enough to help your body protect itself against clogged arteries.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Three Cheese Zucchini Ravioli</p></h4>
<h5>Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Serves: 6</h5>
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Ingredients:</p></h5>
* 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
* 1 cup cherry tomatoes
* 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
* 2 tablespoons avocado oil
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* Large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
* 4 sprigs fresh thyme
* 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
* Kosher salt and pepper
* 3 medium zucchini or summer squash
* Kosher salt and pepper
* 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
* ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
* ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Instructions:</p></h5>
1. Preheat the oven to 425℉.
2. In a baking dish, layer the tomato slices, garlic, and cherry tomatoes.
3. Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil,thyme, crushed red pepper, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss lightly to combine.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to burst.
5. Meanwhile, make the ravioli. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into 1/4 inch wide strips and lay them flat on a paper towel lined counter. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the cheeses, basil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
7. Grab 4 zucchini "noodles" and layer them to make a star. Start with 1 noodle, then add another to make a X. Now make another X with the remaining 2 noodles that will overlap with the current X.
8. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling onto the center of the zucchini.
Bring the ends of the zucchini together, laying them over the cheese.
9. Repeat with remaining zucchini noodles and filling.
10. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and lay the ravioli seam side down in the sauce. Drizzle the ravioli lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until the ravioli is warmed through.
12. Serve with fresh basil and grated parmesan. Enjoy!