<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Eggplant.. Food for your brain!</p></h4>
Eggplant or aubergine is a species of nightshade that is primarily grown for its edible fruit. This versatile fruit adds a creamy, buttery flavor to many dishes, along with a wealth of nutrients.
Eggplant is a rich source of phytonutrients, which are known to increase cognitive ability and to improve overall brain health. These phytonutrients help our brain to receive oxygen rich blood, helping neural pathways to develop. This not only improves our memory but also our ability to think analytically.
On top of being great for cognitive function, eggplant is also great for your bones! Being rich in Vitamin K and copper, eggplant helps to enhance mineral density, increases bone strength and also helps prevent osteoporosis. Collagen, present in this vegetable, helps in the formation of bones and connective tissue. The potassium in this vegetable helps to absorb calcium which helps in keeping your bones healthy and strong.
Talk about a superfood!!
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Arugula, it's for more than just flavor!</p></h4>
This tasty green is peppery and aromatic, adding a wonderful flavor to salads and sandwiches. But, this green isn’t just a great addition to a meal, it is boasting with amazing health benefits!
<h5>Helps Reduce Inflammation in the Body</h5>
Arugula contains indole-3-carbinol and isothiocyanates, which have been linked to suppressing the production of inflammation in the body.
<h5>Cancer Fighting Superfood</h5>
Arugula is from the brassica family, along with broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. This family of vegetables are high in fiber and antioxidants, as well as glucosinolates. Studies show that glucosinolates may reduce the risk of many types of cancer including lung, prostate, breast and pancreatic cancer.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Mediterranean Skillet with Lemon Parmesan Arugula Salad</p></h4>
<h5>Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10-12 minutes | Serves: 2-4</h5>
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Ingredients:</p></h5>
* 1 medium sized egg plant, cubed
* 1 jar roasted red peppers, diced
* 1 yellow onion, diced
* 2 medium zucchini, chopped
* 1 pack crimini mushrooms, sliced
* 1 package of Italian sausage
* Pine nuts
* Garlic powder
* 1 pack Baby arugula
* olive oil
* 1 lemon
* shaved Parmesan cheese
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Instructions:</p></h5>
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
2. Remove sausage from casings and add to skillet with diced onion.
3. Sauté until the sausage begins to brown and onions are slightly translucent.
4. Add eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and roasted red pepper and cook until veggies are slightly tender. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
5. Add pine nuts and toss or stir quickly to incorporate.
6. Remove from heat and top with grated parmesan cheese if desired.
7. Serve and enjoy!
1. Add arugula and Parmesan to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and sprinkle with black pepper. Toss until combined.
2. Serve immediately, garnished with extra Parmesan if desired.