Creamy, comforting, and yet good for you—this soup does it all! Broccoli cheese soup is a favorite treat at plenty of restaurants and cafés, but it’s incredibly fast and easy to make at home. Better still, you can be sure that there are no unhealthy fillers like flour or potatoes.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Fantastic Flax</p></h4>
Flax seeds and flax meal are a keto dieter’s best friends! They add amazing amounts of healthy protein and fiber to any dish. You can swap in flax meal as a high-protein, high-fat replacement for carb-loaded flours and thickeners. Flax is especially high in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid proven to reduce your risk of heart attack. Plus, a single tablespoon contains 8–12% of your daily recommended fiber intake, helping you feel full. Getting more fiber can also improve your digestion and lower your cholesterol.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Kids, Eat Your Broccoli</p></h4>
We’ve all gotten nagged to eat our veggies, right? Broccoli has an unfair reputation, despised by kids (and some adults) everywhere. But when prepared correctly, this is a delicious, nutritious staple that goes with tons of different flavors! It’s also a nutritional heavy hitter. Did you know that just half a cup of cooked broccoli has more than 84% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C? That’s more than you get from half an orange! All that Vitamin C helps boost your immune system. Broccoli is also loaded with calcium, which supports dental health and builds strong bones.
<h4><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Broccoli Cheese Soup</p></h4>
<h5>Prep Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 20 mins| Serves: 4 </h5>
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Ingredients:</p></h5>
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tablespoon golden flax meal
* 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
* ¼ cup white wine (or white wine vinegar)
* 1 cup broccoli, chopped, divided
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
* Salt and pepper, to taste
<h5><p style="color: rgba(20, 117, 135, 1)">Instructions:</p></h5>
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
3. Stir in the flax meal, chicken broth, and white wine. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add half the broccoli and stir well. Return to a simmer.
5. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
6. Use a hand blender to puree the soup until it becomes thicker and a bit creamy in texture.
7. Stir in the remaining broccoli and cream. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the broccoli softens.
8. Slowly whisk the cheese into the soup, one handful at a time. Add a bit of lemon juice in between each addition of cheese (this helps prevent the cheese from becoming stringy).
9. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
10. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with steamed broccoli and more cheese.